Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Do try this at home

OK, so I'm meant to be doing a post on Flickr, or mashups, or something useful I have learnt over the last few days, but I got a wee bit waylaid.........and I found this.

Matthew Reinhart is a paper engineer, and is one half of the team which produces the amazing Encyclopedia Prehistorica series, and the more recent Encyclopedia Mythologica books. You know, those incredibly complex pop-up books that you look through in bookshops with your jaw resting on the top of your shoes, and wonder to yourself (and often those around you) "how do they create these amazing pop ups?" Ok, so, maybe it's just me that does that.

You can check out his website here Matthew Reinhart.com and here Matthew talks about his latest book Gods and Heroes.

But this is the one that caught my attention. In it he gives a quick, on the fly demonstration on how to make your very own pop-up dragon. Watch it - and tell me you don't smile at the face at the end of it!

2 comments:

  1. awesome, just made one for my son.

    how'd you get on with some of those Flickr extras. anything you particularly liked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used Wordle for a number of things before, like a coffee mug (through Cafe Press), some posters for work, and I've helped the kids with using it for posters for school. It's very cool - (and a bit of a time sink!).
    The other ones look pretty cool too - have saved them to Delicious so I can come back to them again.

    ReplyDelete